Choking during the marshmallow challenge: A tragic incident occurred during a marshmallow challenge in which a mother appears to have died due to suffocation.
Natalie Bass, a 37-year-old accountant and mother of two, participated in a 60-second fundraising event at her son’s rugby club, Beddau RFC near Pontypridd, South Wales. The challenge involved stuffing as many marshmallows into her mouth as possible.
Unfortunately, emergency services were unable to revive her after being called to the scene on Saturday night following the accident, which occurred around 10 p.m.
A local mother, who preferred to remain anonymous, shared with the Daily Mail, “The DJ and everyone present was counting each marshmallow as she put them in her mouth. She was laughing while doing it, and it seemed like she had managed to fit in a significant number of marshmallows.”
“For a moment, everyone was enjoying the event and cheering. Then, she suddenly collapsed to the ground. It was devastating to witness such an incident firsthand.”
Individuals with knowledge of first aid rushed to assist, and someone attempted to retrieve the defibrillator from the school’s opposite wall. However, their efforts were in vain as her airways were blocked by marshmallows.
The family is currently awaiting the results of the post-mortem examination.
Beddau RFC described the incident as a “tragic incident.” The club has not disclosed the specific role Ms. Bass played in the marshmallow challenge or provided details about the contest’s organizer.
According to South Wales Police, a 37-year-old woman collapsed and passed away. The HM Coroner’s Office has been informed, and an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death is ongoing.
An inquest is expected to commence later this month.