EntertainmentWonders

A man has died after being stabbed while washing crayfish, leading to a fatal infection and organ failure.

 

A man has died after being stabbed while washing crayfish

 

A man has died after being stabbed while washing crayfish: A 52-year-old man from Hangzhou, China, was cleaning crayfish when he accidentally got stung and injured his finger. He was rushed to the hospital but had already slipped into a coma. Unfortunately, he passed away due to sepsis and multiple organ failure.
According to a report by The Paper on Monday, August 28th, the man had pre-existing conditions of hypertension, diabetes, and chronic kidney disease. The wound on his finger became infected with Vibrio vulnificus bacteria from the crayfish, leading to a rapid and uncontrollable deterioration of his health.
After being stung, his thumb became swollen and painful, and a day later, some parts of his skin turned black. He also experienced symptoms such as fever, chills, nausea, and vomiting.

While describing his condition over the phone to his son, he suddenly collapsed and fell into a coma. Upon arriving at the emergency department, the patient had blackened skin on his left arm, black blister-like spots, and his entire thumb turned black. He had developed severe sepsis and septic shock, with extremely unstable vital signs.

Dr. Lu Yuanqiang, the director of the Emergency Department at the First Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University School of Medicine, stated that sepsis has a mortality rate as high as 35.3%. His team immediately performed surgery to clean and drain the wound, administered fluids, provided shock treatment, and strengthened anti-infection measures.
They also consulted with experts from the Orthopedic and Infectious Disease departments. However, despite their efforts, the man’s condition rapidly deteriorated due to his underlying health issues, resulting in multiple organ failure, ultimately leading to his death three days after being stung.
Doctors speculate that it is highly likely that Vibrio vulnificus bacteria was residing on the crayfish and entered the man’s bloodstream through the wound. At the time, the minor wound was deceptive, and neither the man nor his family took it seriously, leading to this unfortunate outcome.

 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button